Grant Writer (Contract)
The Ostara Group
How to Apply? Website or Email
Open until filled
The Ostara Group, an established and growing consulting firm in Seattle serving Pacific Northwest nonprofits for over 12 years, seeks a contract grant writer to join us in our fast-paced, collaborative work environment.
Ideal for an experienced professional seeking flexibility, autonomy, a professional team and network, and a chance to create real impact within the social sector, this contract role will offer opportunities to work with nonprofits large and small, in all stages of organizational development.
Some projects will be long-term fully outsourced grant writing, and others may be one-time comprehensive grant research, or help with a federal grant. Some projects are integrated with other Ostara team members, working on the grant-related pieces of a capital campaign or a development assessment.
We anticipate a need for about 50-80 hours per month of work across 3-5 clients, but it will shift over time and will depend on evolving circumstances.
The successful candidate for this role will be a highly independent, self-motivated grant writer with substantial experience in grant writing in the Pacific Northwest, including project management and prospect research elements of the work. Superior writing, grammar, and editing skills are mandatory, as well as the ability to maintain confidentiality while handling sensitive and private information. This role requires impeccable scheduling and time management skills.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated success writing grant applications for small, medium, and large nonprofit organizations
- Significant experience with public grants – county, state, and federal
- Enthusiasm for a job that requires a significant majority of the time spent writing and editing
- Ability to write in a compelling and precise manner, even about topics with which you are not immediately familiar
- Experience with and passion for grant prospect research and organizing information
- Paramount attention to detail in all aspects of writing, editing, timelines, targeting grant eligibility and guidelines, and assessing impact, financial, and strategic information as it relates to grant work
- Desire to drive projects independently as well as closely collaborate on projects, depending on the circumstances
- Sophisticated project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple tasks and responsibilities with ease, forethought, and accuracy
- Critical thinker with strong patience, curiosity, and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to be punctual, consistently set and meet deadlines, and coach clients in building their time-management skills
- Poise and professionalism, and the ability to maintain a calm, positive attitude when facing unexpected circumstances, complications, or challenges
- Ability to communicate directly and assertively while still being respectful of differences in opinion, culture, or work styles.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with individuals and groups of varying size
- Creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit, and flexibility
- Strong familiarity with Word and Excel
- This is a contract position (1099), and the applicant is required to register as a business with the state and city before beginning any projects.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- A minimum of five years’ experience in nonprofit fundraising, including a minimum of three years’ experience specifically in grant writing and grant research
- Experience in a consulting setting; in the absence of relevant consulting experience, candidates must have strong aptitude for learning new systems and work styles
- An understanding of philanthropic culture or specific grant funders in the Pacific Northwest
- Experience working with diverse communities
- Familiarity with Adobe, Google Docs, Dropbox, and CRM databases
- Experience in consulting firms or other small businesses
$80 – $100/hr DOE
About The Ostara Group
The Ostara Group is a full-service fundraising and strategic consulting firm that was founded in Seattle in 2009. Our mission is to build fundraising skills, organizational capacity, and effective leadership in the nonprofit sector. Our vision is a nonprofit sector filled with thriving organizations equipped to build a better world. As experienced nonprofit professionals ourselves, we are mission-driven and service-oriented. Our expertise includes development program analysis, strategic and tactical development planning, interim development leadership and management, grant strategy and execution, capital campaign strategy and support, board development, and strategic planning. In the past twelve years, Ostara has built custom solutions for nearly 400 organizations in the Pacific Northwest and throughout the United States.
This is a contract position, and is not eligible for company-paid benefits. The expected hourly rate will vary between $80-$100 per hour, depending on the project and on the applicant’s experience.
To apply, please a send cover letter, resume, and three samples that you consider relevant via email to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.