Job Title: Prospect Research Officer
Organization Name: Seattle Aquarium
Organization Type: Other
Organization Website: https://www.seattleaquarium.org/
Another Source’s client, the Seattle Aquarium, is recruiting a prospect research officer to join their team.
This role is based out of Seattle and will likely offer a hybrid weekly working schedule once the team returns to the office.
About the Seattle Aquarium:
We’re noted for our collaborative, communicative and team-oriented working environment. Our S.A.L.I.S.H. values, developed in conjunction with our staff, include a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), commitments to adopting and promoting sustainable practices, creating awe-inspiring experiences, constantly learning and improving, fostering an inclusive community, maintaining scientific credibility through evidence-based practices, and honoring our unique place by using our location and history for a broader understanding of the communities surrounding Puget Sound.
Proudly accredited by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums, we’re the eighth-largest aquarium in the U.S. by attendance and, during non-pandemic times, we welcome over 850,000 people through our front doors each year. Guided by our mission, Inspiring Conservation of Our Marine Environment, we have developed a master plan to substantially increase in size and impact by opening a new habitat building, the Ocean Pavilion. Our current annual budget is $20 million.
See the Seattle Aquarium in action:
The prospect research officer will report to the Associate Director, Campaign and partner with the Seattle Aquarium’s Vice President of Philanthropy and the Associate Director, Individual Giving with an emphasis on major gift research and prospect management in support of the Aquarium’s capital campaign and annual and long-term fundraising activities. The prospect research officer manages the planning, design, execution and communication of a comprehensive program to optimize donor pipelines for the Seattle Aquarium. They are a strategic partner and internal consultant to other Philanthropy colleagues and to fundraisers across the organization.
- Prospect research (85%)
- Proactively identifies, collects, organizes, analyzes and disseminates information on donors, prospects and groups to enhance the ability of the Aquarium staff and board to successfully acquire their support.
- Qualifies prospects by researching and analyzing connections to other organizations, giving potential, and propensity to donate to establish priorities and strategies for successful solicitations.
- Tracks the major gift pipeline through the management of proposals and generates reports for review; generates action reports to track recent donor activity under portfolio management.
- Establishes research methodologies and data-gathering formats relevant to specific requests and projects; disseminates prospect and donor news alerts effectively to Philanthropy and Executive leadership.
- Devises strategies for obtaining new prospects to ensure the ongoing development, expansion and renewal of the prospect base, to which the Aquarium will turn for current and future support.
- Prepares detailed and up-to-date research briefings on prospects and/or groups of prospects in advance of calls, meetings and events to obtain optimal outcomes; communicates information related to donor interests, relationships and other areas that inform fundraising strategies.
- Provides board candidate research and recommends potential candidates for the nominating committee.
- Runs monthly prospect strategy meetings.
- Supports special projects and performs other position-related duties as assigned.
- Proactively anticipates and seeks out information related to the immediate research priorities of the Philanthropy department.
- Participates in and contributes to the formulation of the Aquarium’s philanthropy planning as it pertains to information systems developments, the processes and procedures of prospect management, and related infrastructure support services.
- Leads department information resources, including identification and selection of sources of information and information vendors.
- Populates, organizes and maintains prospect-profile electronic information files.
Knowledge and skills you bring to the team:
- Knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze prospect data from a wide variety of sources and present the resulting information in a clear summary.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the methods of information acquisition, including use of online sources and print directories.
- Shows initiative in identifying new sources of information as they become necessary and/or available.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Highly organized, with the ability to prioritize multiple requests and the ability to adjust to changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Good decision-making skills, tactful, good listener, willingness to search out answers and ability to recognize when others need to be involved in activities or decisions.
- Advanced Raisers Edge or other similar donor database experience required; proficiency in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint); and demonstrated expertise and advanced knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge database management tools, procedures, queries, importing and custom reporting methodologies.
- Proven record of accurate data entry.
- Excellent administrative skills.
Education and experience you will bring to the team:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or combination of equivalent education and relevant experience.
- Prior experience with donor databases, preferably Raiser’s Edge and prospect tracking systems.
- Demonstrated ability in conducting comprehensive research and producing in-depth prospect analysis and profiles.
- Demonstrated skills in analysis, writing, organization and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of research techniques, methodology, and online and print resources, including commercial databases (iWave, etc.) to identify prospects through constituent list segmentation, push technology, electronic database screening and peer screening.
- Understanding of wealth indicators and market trends; interpretation of financial data.
- Strong ethical sense to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately.
Salary and benefits:
This is an exempt role. The targeted salary range for this role is $60,000–$65,000, dependent on experience. Includes Seattle Aquarium’s comprehensive benefits package: medical, vision, dental (subsidized dependent coverage also available), HRA, FSA, life insurance, long-term disability, 403b retirement fund with employer match, subsidized transit (ORCA) pass, Aquarium Family Plus membership and generous paid time off.
The Seattle Aquarium is a progressive, equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce. One of our core values is fostering an inclusive community and we want our staff to reflect our community. We encourage diverse candidates to apply, including but not limited to Black, Indigenous and People of Color applicants. Application review will begin immediately.
Note: Candidate must pass a background check upon job offer to be eligible for this position.
The Seattle Aquarium has partnered with Another Source, an external recruiting firm, to assist in the hiring process for this position. Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the breadth of the recruiting process.
#development #philanthropy #advancement #fundraising #data #analytics #research
We anticipate the following recruiting schedule for those candidates who are selected for consideration. The following dates are preliminary and subject to change. We will work with candidates to set interviews that work for all involved. If hired, relocation assistance is not available.
- Application deadline: September 2
- Priority given to applications received by August 13.
- First round interview: complete by September 10.
- Second round interviews: complete by September 17.
- Start date: October 1 (ideally).
Another Source works with their clients, on a retained project basis, to maximize the recruiting process.
Please apply using this link: https://careers-anothersource.icims.com/jobs/3224/prospect-research-officer/job?mode=job&iis=SOURCE&iisn=GrantWriters