Job Title: Grant Writer
Organization Name: El Centro de la Raza
Organization Type: Social Justice
Organization Website: www.elcentrodelaraza.org
El Centro de la Raza is a voice and a hub for Seattle and Martin Luther King, Jr. County’s Latino community as we advocate on behalf of our people and work to achieve social justice. Through our comprehensive programs and services, we empower members of the Latino community as fully participating members of society. We also work to raise awareness with the public, and government, business and civic leaders about the needs of the Chicano/Latino community in the United States.
El Centro de la Raza is hiring a Grant Writer to work under the supervision of the Development Director to manage the grants program, CSBG and United Way reporting as well as other grant reporting, ROMA and organization standards, Community Needs Assessment, Salesforce demographic data, strategic planning and all responsibilities associated with the grants program. The Grant Writer is responsible for writing grants, managing the grant process from start to finish, managing grant funder relations, and related grant program tasks to industry standards. This position is part of the Development Team.
This is a full-time exempt position expected to work a minimum of 40-hours per week. It is primarily a remote position with a very occasional need to come into the office. This position requires a 6-month evaluation period.
- Prepares and submits grant proposals to private and public funding sources including budgets and program and project design in collaboration with department directors, program managers and staff.
- Writes from a racial equity core centered on racial equity consciousness.
- Meets regularly with Executive Director and Development Director.
- Researches, identifies, assesses and cultivates sources of grant funding.
- Develops and executes a yearly grants plan to present to the Leadership Team.
- Maintains list and amounts of funding to be raised for all programs in a calendar year.
- Maintains a centralized internal review process and tracking system for grants to safeguard and enhance El Centro de la Raza’s credibility with grant makers.
- Coordinates with Staff Accountant to reconcile related government, foundation and corporate support insuring that fiscal and grants records match on a monthly basis.
- Coordinates and monitors the agency’s grant seeking efforts and works to create new funding opportunities for the organization including preparation of timelines, grant tracking, assists with program design as needed, proposal follow-up and reporting.
- Coordinates scheduling of Department Directors and other key staff as it relates to grant writing and input, grant application review and grant reporting to funders. Works with the Leadership Team to keep the Strategic Plan updated.
- Coordinates reporting for organization-wide funding including United Way and Community Services Block Grant (CSBG).
- Submits monthly report to the Board of Directors.
- Monitors State and Federal level funding opportunities to increase funding.
- Assists with the cultivation of new and stewardship of existing relationships with the public and private sector to increase the agency’s funding base.
- Performs program-related research with regards to proposals, such as demographics and statistics for need statements, including analysis of trends within services.
- Makes recommendations to strengthen program outcomes and indicators based on research and analysis.
- Participates in government, corporate and foundation relations activities.
- Maintains electronic and hard copies of grant applications and related documents in an organized filing and archive system.
- Performs other writing related tasks that involve development, such as program descriptions, thank you letters, annual report, organization statements, etc.
- Coordinates closely with Department Director in raising funds.
- Database administration and monitoring of program demographic data in Salesforce, creates staff user profiles and outcomes based on needs, and creates reports accordingly.
- Prepares annual Outcomes Brief and reports needed for the Annual Report.
- Inputs and updates all grant activity in Salesforce database on a monthly basis.
- Coordinates Community Needs Assessment and writes final report.
- Obtains ROMA certification and manages ROMA standards.
- Supervises interns and volunteers as needed to assist with the grants program.
- Attends all event planning, staff, charlas and Development Team
- Participates in organization activities like weekly charla/discussion sessions.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English or related field.
- At least 5 years of grant writing and data management experience.
- Passion for the mission and vision of El Centro de la Raza.
- Strong writing skills.
- Ability to work independently, maintain a sense of priorities, meet deadlines and the capacity to coordinate multiple tasks.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, multi-tasked, detail-oriented and team-oriented.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with internal staff and external contacts.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining and managing grant-seeking activities.
- Knowledge of public funding processes at local and state levels.
- Strong knowledge of local private sector grant makers as well as proposal strategies.
- Ability to analyze public-sector policy making in regards to funding needs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365. Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
- Spanish language skills not required but are a plus.
Benefits: This position is eligible for El Centro de la Raza’s full benefit package including medical/dental/life insurance coverage, 401(k) plan, paid vacation and sick leave, and 8 paid holidays. In addition to these paid holidays, El Centro gives additional paid time off (up to 5 days) during the last week of December for qualified employees. El Centro employees also benefit from ongoing professional development opportunities.
For further details about El Centro de la Raza’s mission, vision, and work, please visit www.elcentrodelaraza.org.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Denise Tuck at email@example.com.